Inspired by the famous Lord of the Rings Moria men choir sound – Wotan is the evolution of famous choir sampling philosophy, which combines never before sampled vocal timbres (basso profundos) with next-gen scripting. After spending three years exploring various methods to sample choirs finally brings to you the next generation of virtual choirs. Focusing on one of the most iconic choir timbres of the last decades in the history of film soundtracks – The Khazad-dûm male choir – Wotan is the ultimate box of tools to evoke the sound of a long forgotten kingdom. Comprised of ten tenors and ten basses (including basso profundos), all part of many choir recording sessions for artists like Two Steps from Hell, and recorded in the Sofia Session Studio Wotan is the perfect addition to the critically acclaimed StormChoir range adding a whole new layer of dimension and detail.
Syllabuilder Engine 2.0
When it comes to virtual choirs there are basically two approaches: Phrasebulding (StormChoir series) and Wordbuilding (Rhodope series). Wotan combines the simplicity and sample recording of phrasebuilding with the advanced editing functions of wordbuilding. This allows you to have amazing sounding results within seconds, but also to build and create new sample content with only few mouse-clicks. Create complete choral patterns inside the GUI or connect different syllables and morph them to add motion to your choir arrangements. Save and Load complete lyric presets to quickly get yourself into the actual composition or enhance your setup with predefined quick words.
All samples have their natural attacks included. However if you want to tighten them up the Syllabuilder Engine allows you to set custom attack, release, volume and offset values for each field independently. Something completely new and greatly missed in all phrasebuilding choir libraries.
Clusters/Effects and the Manual
Rather than seperating whispers and shouts Wotan includes them as part of the natural dynamic range. Playing with very low velocity on your midi keyboard will trigger whispers, while high velocity triggers shouts. Both effects recorded with multiple round robins, so you can really use them to create music. Of course the GUI allows you to completely customize the behaviour of this unique and intuitive concept. A powerful next generation virtual male choir also should give the user the ability to use musical clusters with real recorded dynamics in them. Wotan features some of the most loved choir clusters ever used in music history. If you think of Ligeti you know what Wotan’s clusters are all about.
Making our new choir engine as accessible as possible was the primary goal during its developement process. That’s why Wotan has an integrated manual in the advanced options menu explaining every little feature in detail.
– 5 GB compressed and optimized sample content
– Instant Lord of the Rings sound!
– Separate recordings of ten tenors and ten basses
– The lowest basses ever sampled (Kontra G)
– 8 powerful syllables recorded within 3 dynamic layers
– Sustain (1xRR) and Staccato (2xRR) samples
– 3 mic positions – Close, Decca, Hall + custom convolution reverb
– Whispers and Shouts with multiple RRs recorded for all syllables
– Bonus sample content – 3 types of clusters recorded for tenors and basses within 3 dynamic layers!
– The powerful Syllabuilder engine with CONNECT and MORPH modes that allow you to create your own sample content within Kontakt
– Ability to Load and Save your lyrics, built-in preset manager
– Integrated Help
– Combined and premixed men patch
– Lite patches for composers who don’t need all features of the library