We wanted to combine classic drum machines ( 15, to be exact ) with the the organic ambience and warmth of studio recorded drums. So, we took a club PA to two different studios, turned it up really loud, and recorded the results: through high-end mics, vintage consoles, valve pre-amps, bass-amps and even acoustic drum shells.
THE DRUM MACHINES
THE STUDIO CHANNELS Each drum was recorded through 11 different channels in the studio – blend to create any drum sound you desire.
– 1073: An overdriven Neve preamp.
– Valve: Rooster preamp with ‘attitude’ dialled in
– Amp: Ampeg bass cabinet mic’d up
– EMI: TG12345 desk compressor
– Room 1: SOTA studio – stereo SF-24 mic
– Room 2: MV studio – spaced KM84 pair
– Kit Res: Tom drums mic’d up
– Rattle: Drum shell + other acoustic artifacts
– PA: High, Mid and Low mics. Hi + Mid are stereo.
THE KONTAKT INSTRUMENT THE DRUM KIT PANEL
The sound-design heart of Electro-Acoustic, this screen has everything you need to build incredible sounding kits. Scroll through different drum machines for each kit piece, shape it using the 11 studio channels, then get really creative with pitch and envelope controls. For advanced drum-geeks, you can edit these for each channel independently if you desire.
ORIGINAL HARDWARE SAMPLE MODELLING
•Five round-robin layers for natural analogue variation
•Original control knobs such as Decay, Tuning, Tone, faithfully recreated
•808 Bass Drum: DECAY + TONE knobs x 11 studio channels: 13,310 samples.
•87,000 samples in total