Limited-Z is a specialized and easy-to-use limiter, based on the foundation of being a capable look-ahead brickwall limiter suitable for final mixing or mastering. Limited-Z dynamically combines several unique limiting algorithms to provide transparent limiting on all audio sources. Limited-Z is capable of substantial levels of compression/limiting without inadvertently creating excessive amounts of audible distortion…AND, IT’S FREE!
Limited-Z is based on full-featured mastering limiter, Limited-MAX. It includes many of the underlying limiting processing engines, while simplifying the user interface. This includes a special customized variable clipping algorithm based on ClipShifter. The result is a mastering limiter that is both configurable and useful, without a significant learning curve. Internally, Limited-Z includes attack and release controls, look-ahead, stereo linking, program-dependent release timing, dynamic EQ, and DC filtering; however, these internal settings are packaged into several unique limiter modes.
Although Limited-Z is a designed to be easy to use, it includes many standard and useful features. This includes an output meter including VU-style, PPM-style, and loudness metering; waveform history display with RMS; adjustable scale for all metering; AutoGain control (for auditioning the sound of the limiter without volume changes); undo/redo history; and A/B comparison controls.
The paid version of Limited-Z adds the following features:
– Selectable secondary metering that includes Input Level, estimated Distortion Level, and ISP meter
– K-Metering of input and output levels
– Linear-phase oversampling (2x, 4x, or 8x)
– Continually adjustable output margin control between 0 dB and -1.5 dB, and 0 dB and -10 dB for post-production
– Adjustable X/Y controls for the Dynamic Algorithm settings for easily fine-tuning the limiter’s overall sound and aggressiveness
– Fixed issue with occasional AU validation failure with free version
– Fixed issue with recalling X/Y settings with paid version
– Changed font on OS X so that text is easier to see
– Improved issue with starting/stopping playback and audio glitches