BetterZip is a fully-featured and user-friendly Mac OS X application that provides the required tools to compress files and folders, edit existing archives, preview their content and password protect sensitive data.
– Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
– Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
– Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
– Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
– Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
– Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
What’s New Version 3.2: New Features
– Added a hidden setting to make a folder expand when double clicked in the archive window instead of extracting and viewing it.
– Added a hidden setting to show the real password length in the preset configuration (instead of always five bullets).
– Added support for Android apk files.
– BetterZip now respects the System Preferences’ setting Sound > “Play user interface sound effects”.
– Enhanced the QL preview for the weirdly zoomed Spotlight window.
– Added .mscz as supported file extension to the QL generator.
– Changed the default for concurrent operations to 4 instead of Auto, because the system would max out all processors.
– Clarified the help page for the preset configuration.
– Switching to flat list view mode didn’t work correctly on macOS Sierra.
– Fixed the weird focus behavior when editing text fields in the preset configuration on macOS Sierra.
– Changing hidden settings in the German help system didn’t work correctly on macOS Sierra.
– When creating multi-part rar archives through the BetterZip service other multi-part rar archives in the same folder were moved to the trash.
– After deleting all presets, the preset configuration didn’t work correctly under certain conditions.
– AppleScript: destination:original wasn’t handled correctly.
– The options in the save panel weren’t always set correctly with the preset values, if the preset used “Show save panel”.
– Duplicating a preset sometimes didn’t copy the password to the new preset.
– The sheet with the progress bar could get stuck when the archive window was minimized during a lengthy operation